Monday, March 22, 2010

2010 Snake Run

190 runners signed up.... 130 runners show up... 60 smart people stayed cozy indoors.

Conditions for 2010 Snake Run was cold (upper 20s), started with rain, then sleet, snow, wind gust up to 30mph (mainly from the north). Trails were small puddles, then deep mud, then cold, freezing muddy water that deepen throughout the day.

6 hours of trekking in miserable conditions. The course was a 2 mile out, 2 mile back, repeat for 6 hours to get in as many miles as possible. I started out great with 9:30 min/mile for first 4 miles. My plan was to do 10 min/mile for the day. I was going abit fast.

Beginning the 3rd loop, I slowed it down to conserve some energy. Believe it or not, I was getting hot so I dropped off my jacket and stocking cap. Around mile 9, I turned a corner, slipped, and went down hard on my right leg. And of course, I was now soaking wet. The wettness didn't bother me, but at about mile 11, my leg was beginning to feel some pain from the fall. From there on, the fun was diminishing fast. I was beginning to walk alot.

I finally made it to mile 16. I was seriously thinking about calling it quits. But I thought...I'll drink some hot soup and see if I can make one more loop, then call it quits. My 5th loop was very slow...doing about 14 min./mile (walking alot).

I made it thru the 5th loop (finished 20 miles now). I was thinking...I still have over 2 hours left...I'll make another loop. So, I went out again. Conditions were still miserable... but that didn't matter, as I was all soaked, toes freezing, face and fingers were pretty much all numb. Finished 6th loop (24 miles) and I still had an hour to go. So I grabbed a cup of soup, and off I went again. I pushed it abit this time. I knew I can make another 4 miles... and maybe some more. I made it to 28 miles in 5 hrs, 50 minutes. I still had 10 minutes left. But I left it at that.

28 miles in miserable conditions, and with right leg giving me fits.... I was OK with it... not too happy, but good outing. Hopefully next year, weather won't be soo crazy so I can hit my 35 miles in 6 hours.

Congratulation to everyone who went out and ran in this crazy weather. I just love trail running...weather is never (except for lightning) a cause for cancellation.

A big thanks to Brian Hoover, Ken & Dana Childress, and some great volunteers to put on this show.



My toes...only the middle toe didn't get punished. Not even close to Badwater damage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great blog Arnold. You sure are tough. Thanks for the kind words. Hope to see ya soon.

Brian Hoover